Kuala Lumpur’s hotel room stock to grow 18% by 2025 | Real Estate Asia
, Malaysia

Kuala Lumpur’s hotel room stock to grow 18% by 2025

Over 80% of the hotels entering the market in 2023 are upscale.

According to a JLL report, hotel room inventory in Kuala Lumpur is expected to grow 18% between 2023 to 2025, assuming all proposed projects materialise. Many owners have also re-invested in their hotel assets in the past two years and this has changed the quality and distribution of hotel inventory in the market. 

Of new supply entering the market between 2023, JLL said 81% of hotel rooms are in the upscale segment, and the remaining 19% are in the midscale segment. Major luxury project openings, such as Regent KL and Kempinski Hotel KL, have been delayed to 2024 onwards.

Here’s more from JLL:

Revenue per available room (RevPAR) has recovered significantly in March 2023 as compared to the same period in 2022. RevPAR has risen by 195.6% y-o-y, driven by an improvement in occupancy by 36.9 percentage points and a 21.6% rise in average daily rate (ADR), due to the reopening of borders in the region.

Upcoming developments in Kuala Lumpur, including the Merdeka 118 and TRX, as well as the MRT and LRT expansion are expected to enhance connectivity and better position Kuala Lumpur as a financial hub to boost tourism.

Outlook: Hotel market on the runway to full recovery

While 2023 is expected to be a year of headwinds and full recovery of the tourism sector is not anticipated, a steadily increasing number of international visitor arrivals should lead to a higher international-to-domestic guest ratio in the year ahead.

In January 2023, Malaysia opened special lanes for travellers from Mainland China given the reopening of its borders. While the number of international arrivals from Mainland China has yet to recover to pre-pandemic levels, we expect the move to aid in Kuala Lumpur’s steady recovery in hotel performance.


Note: Kuala Lumpur Hotels refers to Kuala Lumpur's luxury and upscale hotel market.

Join Real Estate Asia community
Since you're here...

...there are many ways you can work with us to advertise your company and connect to your customers. Our team can help you dight and create an advertising campaign, in print and digital, on this website and in print magazine.

We can also organize a real life or digital event for you and find thought leader speakers as well as industry leaders, who could be your potential partners, to join the event. We also run some awards programmes which give you an opportunity to be recognized for your achievements during the year and you can join this as a participant or a sponsor.

Let us help you drive your business forward with a good partnership!


How Metland Indonesia deals with weaker residential purchasing power
The real estate firm continues to expand with residences that are attractive to consumers because of pricing, the ‘growing house’ concept, and sustainable features.